The kids are young, you are exhausted from work, you do not have a babysitter…yet you and your significant other desperately need some time to reconnect. You need a date night but it is just impossible for you to get out. What can you do? Here is a recipe to have a great night together in your own home.
- Talk with your partner about the importance of this time together. Your partner may also feel the desire to reconnect but probably feels stuck in the hustle and bustle of a busy life in a busy city. By starting the conversation you are taking the first step showing your desire to connect and your partner will appreciate your effort.
- Your plan will include getting the children in bed at a reasonable hour. This is going to include homework, baths, dinner and chores. Start early to ensure the schedule goes according to plan.
- Do not plan chicken nuggets for your dinner but do not stress about creating a fancy meal. The goal is connection not gourmet. There are so many amazing restuarants in NYC that will provide you with a gourmet take-out meal so take the short-cut and remove a stressor from your to-do list. If you have a budget issue bring home a pizza.
- Stick to the plan. If your house normally operates in fire-drill mode then commit to a peaceful night and make it happen. If this includes writing out a timeline then do that.
- When it is time for your date drop everything. Stuff the laundry away, forget the dirty dishes, and do not worry about lunches for the next day. Your time with your partner needs to be a priority and it is precious so treat it that way.
Your relationship with your partner can get lost in the craziness of raising a family in a fast paced city like New York. Making regular time to reconnect might seem impossible but it will strengthen your relationship. It does not have to be perfect, it just has to happen. In fact, sitting on the laundry while eating pizza with a glass of sparkling water or wine and a lit candle will make for a fun memory for years to come. You have years to perfect the in-home date night specifics so start simply. Remember, taking time to focus on your partner and your relationship will help during stressful times. You will remember and cherish the closeness you create on your date night at home.